© Instagram – @annavictoria
Transformation photos may be two a penny on Instagram but Anna Victoria’s recent snap stopped us in our tracks. Sharing a photo of herself from ten years ago and today, Anna used this moment to chat about her journey from exercise novice and fast food devotee to a personal trainer at the helm of mega fitness empire.
With 1.3 million Instagram followers, her very own app (Body Love), a collection of downloadable workout plans (The Fit Body Guides), and refreshingly balanced approach to boot, Anna has gained her a loyal legion of fans. To find out more, WHchatted to Anna about the fitness and food mantras she credits her long-lasting results too.
Keep reading for her fad-free approach that we suspect you could get onboard with.
ANNA VICTORIA’S GUIDE TO FITNESS AND FOOD
1. Start with a full body workout
‘If you’re a complete beginner, start off with full body workouts. I see a lot of people starting a new regime, signing up to my app, doing the Monday leg and glute session and then find they can’t walk for a week. I recommend starting with a week of full body workouts and then move onto splitting their focus by muscle group later on.’
2. Make the guide work for you
‘I never ever want someone to feel like they have to follow my programmes religiously. My plans are made up of 30-minute sessions designed to be done six days a week. However, you could double up one day and turn it an hour-long session, and then have an additional rest day. Or, if you only have five days a week and can’t find the time to double it up and turn it into an hour’s session, that’s still okay. You’re still moving your body.’
3. Mix up your workouts
‘When I’m working out myself I don’t have a personal trainer, I just use my own guides. It can be good to switch it up though – we can all get stuck in a fitness rut. When this happens I like to go a class. I’m someone that needs to do cardio to be lean and I’ve recently discovered Flywheel (a spinning class in LA.) It’s been a huge game changer for me because it’s someone telling you you’re going to do 45 minutes of cardio, and there’s no way out of it.’
4. Remember your motivation
‘I always keep in mind why I started. For me, that’s my health. Before I started this journey I ate purely fast food; Mcdonald’s, Taco Bell, Carl’s Junior. I didn’t understand that food was connected to my body and my health. I started having health problems and digestive issues. Now, if I find myself falling back into those bad habits, I can get acid reflux. This is a good reminder that I can’t keep eating like this too much otherwise – that’s no fun.’
5. Don’t obsess over calories
‘I am resistant to tracking calories. You could eat 100 calories of a banana or 100 calories of a snack bar but it’s not the same. If the snack bar is processed it’s not going to do as much for your body as the banana will.’
6. Look at food as fuel
‘I try to practise what is now known as ‘intuitive eating.’ I have started to look more at my macros so I get the right balance of carbohydrates, fats and protein but within this I make sure these meals were from clean sources. Measuring macros isn’t an excuse to include junk in your diet. Plus, if you look at the portions of eating junk food versus healthy food you get to eat so much more of the healthy stuff.’
7. Apply the 80:20 rule
‘One thing that’s really important to me is the 80:20 rule. The idea is that 80% of time you fuel and nourish your body in a healthy balanced way and the other 20% you can eat and drink what you want – even pasta, gelato and wine! Having these type of foods now and again isn’t going to ruin your progress or hurt your body. I believe it’s essential for your mental health not to obsess over it. The cortisol response caused by this stress does you more harm than one unhealthy snack. It’s the idea of letting go and simply thinking, ‘I’ll have a green juice next.’ That’s balance to me.’
8. Don’t be too hard on yourself
‘I have never liked going to extremes, I always want to search for a way to live a healthy lifestyle and still live your life. I want to show people dedication but I don’t want them to feel guilty for enjoying themselves or indulging.’
Feeling inspired? Try one of these healthy dinner recipes or browse the UK’s best spinning studios.